Your generosity helps us care for our Sisters
by Sister Mary Kabat
|See related story, "Sister returns Sisters' kindness"|
(December 2016) -- I want to express my thanks to the religious Sisters, priests and brothers who have blessed my life:
- Thank you, Franciscan Sisters from Springfield, Ill., who founded St. Vincent Hospital where I was born and received health care through the years.
- Thank you, Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters and Sisters of St. Francis of the Holy Cross, who taught me at Annuciation and St. Jude schools, respectively.
- Thank you, Carondelet Sisters from St. Louis, who taught me at St. Joseph Academy.
- Thank you, Norbertine and Jesuit priests, who founded St. Norbert and Boston Colleges from which I have my education degrees.
- Thank you, Sisters of St. Francis of the Holy Cross, whose charism and ministry allowed me to follow God’s call.
How many ways are you thankful for religious men and women? How many ways have they blessed you and your family’s lives? The Advent Religious Retirement Appeal gives you the opportunity to put your thanks into action.
Our Bishops continue this appeal begun in 1988 as the need to help retired religious with daily life and medical expenses remains great.
But, you say, the bishops or dioceses provide for the members of religious communities, don’t they? No, each individual religious community is responsible for the care of their members. Religious have always depended of the generosity of others. Yes, we are each doing all we can to provide for our own retired members. The fact is we need help. What active religious earn in their church ministries today cannot make up for the years the members received little or no compensation, no health insurance, and no retirement benefits.
This chance to speak for them is my way of saying thank you. You can say thank you with your gift to the National Religious Retirement Appeal in your parish or with your gift to the religious community whose members have blessed you and your family. And I can assure you, they say THANK YOU!
Stay in touch -- This story originally appeared in the Sisters' newsletter. Subscribe to our FREE printed newsletter (issued five times a year) and our FREE e-spiritual reflections (weekly). We enjoy hearing from you so visit our “Send a Greeting to Sister” page and say hello. Thank you and God bless!